Tuesday 12 June 2012

Boulogne Sur Mer

I was up at about 8 and headed downstairs to chat with John about recovering my lost photo's.  Thankfully John could help me and I have the ones that I lost back.  We then had breakfast with Alicia and Jeano (they had stayed overnight) before heading off at about 10.10 am.  Breda is very close to the motorway to Antwerp so we were really on our way quickly.  It stayed dry the whole time we were driving so we had a very comfortable drive.  Along the way we encountered an English Scooter Club on their way to Calais, there were hundreds of them (that is no exaggeration).  There was a section of highway which had some lovely white wildflowers, interspersed with some wild poppies.  While driving I realised that it has been 20 years since I travelled that road.  It was in 1992 with Rita on our Grand Tour of Europe.  We headed off the motorway just after Calais, and made our way to a small seaside village Sangatte.  From there we followed the coast on the D940 to Boulogne Sur Mer.  Just after Sangatte it was possible to look over the water to England and the White Cliffs of Dover.  It was a spectacularly beautiful coastal drive.  We arrived in Boulogne at about 2.00 pm and went straight to our hotel, which is located within the 1 square kilometer of old Roman city walls.  Once we had deposited our luggage we headed out to find somewhere to eat.  While we were eating the rain decided to fall.







We ended up watching some of the mens final of the French Open while we waited for the rain to dissappear.  After that we went for a stroll down to the church and then back to the city walls.  BT wanted to watch the European Cup game, and I wanted to see some more of the tennis.  Later in the evening I went back to the city walls so that I could take a photo of the Basilica, which is next door to our hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment